Friday, 3 May 2013

On the workbench: Carnifexes and Black Dragons

I've started work on the next two monstrous creatures for the Tyranid project - ranged-weapon carnifexes...


These bad boys will be armed with twin-linked devourers - proper dakka fees - and the parts are assembled beside them. I experimented with different patterning techniques on these guys, and I think that it turned out pretty good. 

Just for a side project, I've also starting assembling a squad of Black Dragons Space Marines (see my review on the excellent Death of Antagonis). 


I highly doubt that I will ever do a full army of these, but they were good fun to assemble - I've used a variety of heads, spikes form various WFB kits, and shoulder pads from Chapterhouse. I just need to find some jump-packs and some time to finish them!
 

3 comments:

  1. hi, i wondered if you could please tell me where you got the horned head and bone blades from as i am starting a black dragons army of my own, and the recipe for how you paint faces would help me alot also. Thanks alot, keep up the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying the blog. I must get around to finishing these models some time...

      The head without the helmet is from the Chaos Possessed sprue, and the one with the helmet and big horn is actually a regular Marine head with a spike (from the Chaos Lord sprue) glued on the centre detail. The other spikes are from assorted WFB and Chaos kits - if you go to somewhere like bitsandkits.co.uk, and type in "spikes" you'll literally get lots of options - with Black Dragons, it's best to just experiment and see what works.

      For the skin, the recipe is very simple:
      1. Basecoat Bugman's Glow
      2. Wash with Ogryn Flesh (or the newer wash, I'm still on some old paints)
      3. Highlight raised detail with Cadian Fleshtone
      4. Highlight cheekbones, eye sockets and any other raised areas with Kislev Flesh

      On character models, you could also add some Screaming Skull to the Kislev Flesh (say a 50/50 mix) and highlight the most raised features.

      Hope that helps and good luck with your Black Dragons!

      Delete
  2. thx alot for the info, its already helping me, but after seeing the great wip pics of yours i might have to get you to do up all my hq units for me, thx again!

    ReplyDelete