Saturday, 28 September 2013

Dipping tutorial: Nurgle Daemon Prince

This week has been very busy - got a few commissions I'm finishing off, and received a few new commissions as well. Plus I'm trying to work on a new photography set up - my recent shots haven't been doing my models justice!

I recently received a commission for a Nurgle Daemon Prince, which is a model I've always wanted to paint. It's a very nice sculpt, and although of some age it is certainly one of GW's better Chaos models. However, there was a twist: my client wanted the model to match is already-dipped Nurgle units. I was also working to a very tight deadline...!

I've limited experience in dipping, but I do have a tin of Army Painter mid-tone dip, and so I got stuck into this project.

Here is my step-by-step on dipping a Nurgle model and achieving a good, fast and reliable finish...

(Apologies for the poor photos early on - the detail isn't so relevant, they were really only taken to show the colours used!)

Step 1: Undercoat with Army Painter "Army Green"


Step 2: Pick out skin with Ratskin Flesh


Step 3: Pick out metal with Leadbelcher


Step 4: Pick out bone details with Ushabti Bone


Step 5: Pick out gold/brass with Balthasar Gold


Step 6: Apply Army Painter midtone dip

This is the trickiest part of the whole process! I've seen models that look a complete mess once the dip has been applied. In my experience, the best way of doing the dip is to not dip the model!

Stir the dip well! It settles easily in the pot.

I applied the dip with a large, cheap brush, making sure that it didn't pool (use a piece of tissue to remove ungainly pooling). You can shift the dip around quite easily with your brush, and it takes a long time to dry.

Be aware that the dip will run downwards, so consider this when your basing model etc - a fantastic basing job with full static grass, etc could be damaged by the dip.

Once your happy with your application of the dip, leave it to dry for a full 24 hours.

Step 7: Spray with Army Painter matt finish

Be careful that the model is fully dried because spraying. This last step is essential to reduce the shine of your model, and it also improves the overall shading achieved by using the dip. However, be aware that  certain varnishes and finishers will interfere with the dip - I'd be wary of using Testors on the finished model.

Here is the finished model...


I went back over the model and picked out some details - in particular the eyes, mouth detail, and some of the metal work.

Here you can see the fly on the arm armour - I picked it out with Gehenna's Gold and the  rewashed it with Agrax Earth, just to make it stand out a little more.


The sword looks bent in this shot - it's not in real life! Although it is Finecast, so I expect it will warp over time! The chains are also quite delicate, so these will probably take additional wear during storage and play.


So, this is a nice and quick technique to finish largescale models or even a whole army. It'll never replace my preferred techniques, and it isn't a method I'm keen on repeating, but for this project it worked out nicely. I can imagine that it works well for cultists, Nurgle armies or perhaps some Warhammer Fantasy Battle pieces.

If I'd had more time on this project, I would probably have added some additional highlights to the model before I actually applied the dip. I think that adding some basic highlights or additional colourations would work well with the dipping process.

No comments:

Post a Comment