Sunday, 26 January 2014

Night Lords Helbrute and slow progress...

This week has been so busy that it's been difficult to get any painting in. I'm actually taking a few weeks to do some projects for myself, so this is not such a big deal - but it was still good to get some brush time in today. I managed to finish a model that has been sitting on my workbench for absolutely months...

The Helbrute is a strange kit - the only dreadnought model available for the Chaos Space Marines, and only through the Dark Vengeance boxed set. It has lovely detail, but that is weirdly mostly on the front of the model.

I went with a Night Lords scheme, with terror markings, to add the model to my fledgling (and really only for cool-paint-scheme collecting) army.


I've seen Helbrutes done in a lot of ways, but I felt that the exposed, non-armour plated areas should be flesh-coloured. That also complements the blue and gold warplate, although as you can see from this picture there is quite a lot of flesh on the model.


I used a combination of the new GW paints, but also some of the older Foundation series. Necron Abyss is a particular favourite of mine, for that deep blue armour colour. The gold is done very easily and simply - I used Vallejo Liquid Gold series (Old Gold) which I then washed with Agrax Earthshade. This is my preferred way for doing gold on line troops, much quicker than building up with GW metallics (although you need to wash your brushes with spirit after use!).

Below is my Night Lords army so far - I still have to paint up the rest of the Dark Vengeance set, but those figures have some serious detail! The Chosen look like they will take months for me to get done, so they will wait for another session...


Next week, probably some more Farsight and then some Knight Models Batman figures...

No comments:

Post a Comment