Saturday, 14 March 2015

Iron Hands: Thunderfire Cannon 2

Oops! Looks like this post went up without the text the first time around! Second try...

The Thunderfire cannon is a unit that went from "zero to hero" under the new rules. It was once a mighty glass cannon; being very easy to damage and difficult to manoeuvre. This has now changed, with the cannon itself being quite a tough target. 

I have a soft spot for the Thunderfire. It reminds me a lot of the early Rogue Trader artillery pieces. I purchased one many, many years ago, and it sat on the shelf gathering dust. I decided that my Iron Hands army would actually be built around two of these models, and this is the second....


My first cannon was the now-defunct metal version. This was a pain to assemble and weighs about two tonnes.

I hoped that the Finecast version would be a nicer model to build and paint...


Not so! This is probably one of my worst experiences with Finecast, and I've had some bad experiences! The model was cast "okay" (read: inadequately for the £38 price tag), but many bits were warped, didn't match up or required green stuffing to fit properly. The gun chassis is super thin: it is almost transparent in places.

I also find the Finecast sculpts have weird injection lines, which are very difficult to remove. Actually finding what is supposed to be detail, and what it supposed to be flash, can be time-consuming and frustrating.


Here is the gun with attendant tech marine. He's getting some finishing touches done to him, and I hope to post him up properly next week.


A shot of the first and second gun together; they have subtle differences, but look nicely uniform when placed together.


2 comments:

  1. Nice. Very tidy. Looks great mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! This is a good example of the rest of my Iron Hands army

      Delete