Sunday, 31 January 2016

The return of Farsighted: Enclaves Riptide

Well, my New Year's resolution to keep this blog more up-to-date has almost immediately been broken! I wish that I had a better way of tacking pictures, because this is always the problem. There's little enough time to paint, but when I photo my miniatures I have to clear away the desk and set up the light booth... So whilst I've been busily (and happily) building and painting, I just haven't had the time to take any pictures.

Excuses out the way, here's what I've most recently finished: a Farsighted Enclaves Riptide...


The new Tau codex, and more specifically the Mont'ka supplement, has really piqued my interest in the Tau again. I already had a fledgling Farsighted army, which was bulked out with some fairly bad unit choices (Vespid: love the models, but in-game... Not so good). GW's new direction in formations and "block building" army lists is a nice revision of the force org structure, and here's where I'm aiming for my Farsight army:

Dawn Blade Contingent
Retaliation Cadre
Commander in Coldstar suit
3 battle suits with twin plasma rifles
3 battle suits with twin fusion blasters
3 battle suits with twin missile pods
Riptide
2 broadsides with HYMPs and smart missiles (with 4 missile drones)

Drone network
4 marker drones
4 marker drones
4 marker drones
4 marker drones

Firebase Support Cadre
Riptide
Broadside with railgun
Broadside with railgun

Optimised Stealth Cadre
Ghostkeel
3 stealth suits
3 stealth suits

All that comes in at about 2000 with upgrades and so on. It'll be broadly split into two parts - with the Retaliation Cadre dropping on turn two, and the rest holding the fort until arrival. The Stealth Cadre can hunker down and absorb a lot of firepower if necessary, and the marker drones can get into position to support the heavier suits.


I absolutely love the Khorne Red paint from GW. This is a nice, smooth red. A world away from the extremely thin reds that GW used to sell!


I made a slight mistake on the missile pods! As you might be able to see, I made one the wrong way round. Not a huge error, but annoying as I only realised what I'd done when I glued the pods on.


Last up is the shield. I had actually intended to put the shield on the right arm, but by then I'd already glued on the spines. No matter: this Riptide looks different enough to my last model that they're distinguishable.


No comments:

Post a Comment